Senior Backend Engineer
Stable Kernel is a custom software and technology firm based in Atlanta, GA – heavily invested in creating a learning and mentoring culture for our engineers. Our in-house product teams partner with Fortune 500s to navigate the unknown – that space between an identified problem and a future-focused solution. We strategize, architect, design, develop and commercialize custom software that builds our clients’ businesses.
As a Stable Kernel software engineer, you will have endless opportunities to learn new technologies, make decisions that influence the path of a product roadmap, collaborate daily with other engineers and product team members, leverage software development best practices and develop new skills to become a more well-rounded engineer.
Above all, your work and contribution will help some of the largest companies in the world be more successful and the products you build will impact hundreds and thousands of users every day.
Our ideal candidate
We’re looking for an engineer with 4-5+ years of professional Backend experience. The technologies we most often use for backend development are:
- Spring Boot + Kotlin/Java
- .NET + C#
You will be a part of a long-term product team that works together to build world-class applications – from strategy and research through implementation and delivery, and each team is dedicated to one client project at a time.
Our product teams include UX/UI designer, multiple software engineers, market researcher, project manager, quality assurance engineer, technical product owner and software architect.
All work is done in our beautiful office in Atlanta, GA with walking access to the BeltLine. Because we believe teams work best when they are constantly collaborating, we do not have remote employees – but we do have a flexible work-from-home policy. Learn more about what it’s like to work at SK from one of our engineers.
*Note – We are not sponsoring employment visas at this time. If you are currently in possession of an employment visa, it will need to be effective for at least 3 years from the date of your application for your candidacy for employment to be considered.
Stable Kernel engineers are ambitious, constant learners
We take an active role in evaluating our client’s opportunities, planning and presenting a software solution, and then implementing and delivering it. These projects might contain multiple components – from a sophisticated mobile application to a system consisting of HTTP APIs, databases, mobile and web applications, and millions of connected devices around the world.
We often architect brand new applications and systems which allow our engineers to use the latest and greatest languages, frameworks and operating systems – giving endless opportunities to become a more well-rounded engineer.
Our roots run deep in technology
At Stable Kernel, you will be surrounded by some of the brightest talent in the industry with leadership from Joe Conway, award-winning author, founder and CEO. Joe is recognized in the developer community for his best-selling iOS programming book that led to him teaching 2000 professional software engineers at Facebook, Apple, Cisco, AT&T, Microsoft and more.
Our leadership’s desire to help others grow is embedded in the culture here, which is why one of our four core values is to learn and share.
Our commitment to the open-source community
At Stable Kernel, we’re problem solvers by nature. That’s why we created Aqueduct – an open-source, HTTP server framework for building scalable REST APIs with Google’s Dart. We encourage our developers to contribute to Aqueduct and other open-source projects that capture their interest.
Why you'll love us
- Competitive salary with performance-based bonus opportunities
- Health, vision and dental plans at 99.9% personal coverage
- 401k with above-average company matching
- $3000 annual industry educational budget
- Access to endless learning opportunities, including Udemy’s online learning portal
- Dog-friendly office
- Located in one of Atlanta’s most popular neighborhoods on the BeltLine
- Fully-stocked kitchen with breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks
- Flexible work-from-home environment
- Monthly happy hours, celebrations and company outings
- Award-winning wellness programs and initiatives
It is too easy for a software engineer’s career to plateau; to get stuck; to stop learning.
And it’s scary to plateau because there is so much more to learn each day and you start to feel behind. We’re changing that.
Our software engineers take personal growth seriously, and we help them by building individualized career growth plans that extend beyond just learning new frameworks and programming languages – although there is plenty of that – but teaching the adjacent and soft skills that enable everyone’s fullest potential and unlock new career opportunities.
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Experience writing HTTP API applications, specifically:
- Managing authorization with an identity management system and OAuth 2.0
- Exposing authorized API endpoints
- Interfacing with 3rd-party APIs such as billing systems, IoT device management
- Modeling relational data and managing database migrations
- Deploying applications using Docker
- Fundamental understanding of events and asynchronous behavior
- Make documented pull requests with GitHub, create and rebase branches, and push commits to a remote branch.
- Ability to communicate respectfully with the intent to align on and meet team objectives.
- Experience or an interest in consulting / working and communicating with customers
This role’s salary range is from $90,000 to $120,000 depending on the breadth and depth of their development experience.
Over the course of three years, most Stable Kernel engineers will write applications on mobile, browser and cloud. An engineer’s salary rises as they demonstrate the ability to be successful on more platforms.